September 2012 - How To De-Stress Fast!
Back to Newsletter
Feeling stressed or overwhelmed? I’ve got a great quick little tool you can do any time, any place. I’ve used this and it works! As a Clinical Hypnotherapist, I’m always looking for new tips and tools to help my clients. The interesting thing about this little technique is you probably already do a version of this naturally and instinctively when you’re stressed, but here’s how to make it more effective. Thanks to Donna Eden, healer and spokesperson for energy medicine. Thanks also goes to Colin G. Smith too for authoring this great article.
To learn how to de-stress fast we need to be able to control our ‘fight / flight / freeze’ response. This in-built mechanism goes back to when we were out in the wild hunting for food. Being able to fight and run away from wild animals is essential in that environment. It is still useful of course in some contexts in the modern world too, but as you well know, all too often the ‘fight or flight’ stress response kicks in at varying levels throughout a normal day! But, because you’re not fighting or running that stressful chemical mix just saps your energies and can induce stress related illness. Clearly stress is bad for our health and peace of mind. So wouldn’t it be great if we could discover the secrets of how to de-stress fast…
Energy Medicine / Energy Psychology
I first learned about the amazing ‘how to de-stress fast’ technique, you are about to learn, from a remarkable man: Dr. John La Tourrette. ‘The Doc’ is an American most commonly known for his high level world class Martial Art skills and he is increasingly becoming more famous for his outstanding energy healing skills. At one of his seminars a few years ago he introduced me to ‘Energy Medicine’ as taught by Donna Eden. Donna Eden who is a Healer who travels the world giving workshops on ‘Energy Medicine.’ The same title of her book won the self-help category of the US Book News 2008 National Best Books awards. She is well respected by many high level teachers and trainers as being one of the very best clairvoyant healers on the planet today.
“Energy Medicine awakens energies that bring vitality, joy, and enthusiasm to your life — and greater health to your body, mind, and spirit! Balancing your energies balances your chemistry and hormones, helps you feel better, and helps you think better. And it empowers you to adapt and even flourish in the 21st century.” - Donna Eden
I recommend her materials and you can also find some useful Youtube clips of her demonstrating Energy Medicine techniques for your health and well-being. It is worth viewing a clip of Donna if only to see how joyful a human being can be. Anyway the point is, as with any material someone is teaching, does it work. Is it beneficial?
The following ‘how to de-stress fast’ technique I am about to explain is so easy you will quickly be able to verify for yourself how effective it is. As with quite a few of the Energy Medicine techniques, people actually partially do them already. In other words part of our being knows a lot about natural healing innately. For instance when people ‘lose it’ they often hold their hands on their head, in the ‘O my God!’ pose as Eden calls it.
Unfortunately they only keep their hands there for a few moments. If they kept their hands there for a few minutes they would be able to return to a calm balance. These locations or points on the head are known, in Energy Medicine, as the Neurovascular Points. These locations impact blood circulation throughout the entire body.
The ones we are going to use to help reduce the stress response are located an inch above the eyebrows; the bumps on the forehead. By placing the thumbs on the temples at the side of the eyes and then placing our finger tips on our forehead we keep the blood from leaving our forebrain.
The forebrain is the part of the brain that is responsible for our cognitive skills. Even when you’ve ‘lost it’ holding these points brings blood back to the forebrain! Which means you will be able to think straight again. There’s also an added benefit in that it can also provide a cranial adjustment which may relieve: Chronic headaches, neck pain and jaw tension.
You can re-balance your brain using this ‘Energy Medicine’ with any stressful emotion / state of mind such as:
- Self Pity
- Confusion / Lack of Concentration
Re-Programming The Autonomic Nervous System
Do you ever think about things from the past that stress you out? All you need to do to re-program that stress response is hold the Neurovascular points while you think of those memories. There’s no need to try to be positive, simply hold the points and the stress will melt within minutes. Go through a few memories while holding the points, you could do it in the bath, and the de-stress-ing effect will begin to generalize to other memories automatically!
You can, of course, go ahead and think of upcoming events that cause you some stress. Simply think about them while holding the points. Go through a few like that to help generalize the ‘stress melt.’ Donna Eden once stated at a seminar at Lake Lucern, Switzerland, “holding the neurovasculars ALWAYS works!” In Energy Medicine she says this will be one of the simplest yet most valuable tools you will learn.
How To De-Stress Fast Technique
1. Lightly place your finger tips on your “O’ My God!” Points (the Neurovasculars), one inch above the eyebrows. You can also put your elbows on a table and ‘hold your head in your hands.’
2. Place your thumbs on your temples next to your eyes.
3. Breath and notice the blood (pulsing) returning to your forebrain, enabling you to think more calmly and clearly. This can usually be done in less than five minutes.
You can of course hold other peoples Neurovasculars to help them de-stress fast.
Some Suggested Uses:
- Decision Making: Holding ‘the points’ is a good idea before making any big decisions you need to make because you will keep the blood in the forebrain, enabling you to think things through more clearly.
- Before Exams: Most people have some anxiety when doing an exam. Hold the neurovasculars before the exam for five minutes while thinking about actually being sat in the exam room.
- Before A Date: Got a hot date that’s making you a bit nervous?! Before you go out, maybe in the bath or shower, do the How To De-Stress Fast Technique for a few minutes while thinking about the date.
- Before Phone Calls: Do you have to make an annoying phone call, maybe a billing mistake or something. Sit down and hold ‘your points’ for a few minutes before picking up the phone.
- Before Sleeping: This is a great idea that I personally use every night. Simply lay in bed and hold your neurovasculars, allowing you a more settled mind before sleeping.
- Before Meditating: It’s a really good idea to hold ‘the points’ before you meditate because it calms you down and balances your brain hemispheres giving rise to an easier meditation.
- Before Paying Bills: Bills can be stressful, especially when there is a pile of them! Sit down and do the Stress Fader while thinking about the stack of bills.
At The Airport: Airports have become more stressful in recent times due to the sheer volume of people and of course the stringent security & safety checks. While waiting why not hold your neurovasculars to help remain calm and balanced. You could go in the rest-room for more privacy.
- When Having A Bath: Fill the bath up with your favorite bubble bath and then sink into the warmth while you do the How To De-Stress Fast Technique.
- Before Work: Hold ‘your points’ before you go to work. You could think about certain stressful aspects of work to re-program your response to them. If needed you could also rebalance yourself during breaks.
- Instant Peace of Mind Is Now In Your Hands! (Well, Within 5 Minutes.)
So now you know how to de-stress fast. Be sure to give it a go because once you’ve experienced the results I’m confident you’ll wonder how you ever managed without it before. It’s a remarkably simple and effective technique. It could be easy to dismiss it. Please check it out because I and many others have found it to be very useful in situations where nothing else was working. Remember when blood is back in your fore-brain you have access to much more of the mind’s resources!
Thanks to Colin G. Smith for posting this.
Colin is a licensed Master Practitioner of Neuro-Linguistic Programming (NLP) and author of 'The NLP ToolBox
Back to Newsletter